Group Theory Conference
Arrangements have been made for conference participants to stay at either the Water Tower Inn or the Manresa Center. The Water Tower Inn is a university-operated hotel located 1.5 miles south of the conference location. The Manresa Center is a university-owned retreat center located about 0.9 miles north west of the conference location. Shuttle transport will be provided to and from both locations midday and evening Friday, morning and evening Saturday, and Sunday morning and midday.
The Water Tower Inn
The Water Tower Inn is the preferred hotel for conference participants. The Water Tower Inn has set aside a block of rooms for conference participants until Month Day. The cost is $75 + tax (total $80.44) per room per night. (An additional guest may stay in most rooms at no additional charge.) Reservations may be made by phone (314.977.7500) or online at the Water Tower Inn web site. When making a reservation make sure you specify that you are attending the Zassenhaus 2007 group theory conference, or you may be told that no rooms are available (the hotel is currently completely set aside for groups like Zassenhaus 2007 for the weekend of the conference). Notes:
- Complementary continental breakfast is available
- Secure on site parking
- Fitness center in the hotel building
- Free local calls
- Complementary high speed internet service is available (if you bring a laptop)
- Check-in time at the Water Tower Inn is 3 p.m. Central Time. The Water Tower Inn will store luggage until check-in time for early arrivals. If cleaned rooms for the night are available, they will be happy to provide early check-in.
- Check-out time at the Water Tower Inn is 11 a.m. Central Time. The Water Tower Inn will store luggage until later in the day for those who need this accommodation. If the room is not reserved for another guest for the next night, the Water Tower Inn can usually accommodate a late check-out.
Mapquest map of the location of the Water Tower Inn - also see the map at the bottom of this page.
The Manresa Center
Manresa Center Room
Accommodation is also available for $30 per person per night at the Manresa Center. This is a charge per person with no reduction for sharing rooms. The Manresa Center is a former monastery now used as a retreat and conference center (we will not be using the conference facilities at the Manresa Center). There are 21 single rooms, 9 double rooms and 4 triple rooms available. The rooms are equipped with dressers, reading lamps, coat racks and, in some instances, desks. Bathroom facilities are shared. Genders will be separated by floors, with the third floor reserved for couples (that floor has the fewest single rooms). A general description is that the Manresa Center accommodations are somewhat spartan but certainly adequate and secure. In order to use the Manresa Center for conference accommodation, two conditions apply:
- A minimum number of participants must stay at the Manresa Center. Please indicate your interest in staying at the Manresa Center as early as possible so we can confirm its availability at the earliest possible date. Note that if too few participants wish to stay at the Manresa Center then it will not be available and those participants will have to stay at the Water Tower Inn (provided space is available) or elsewhere.
- The Manresa Center requires that we pay the full amount for all participants by March 1. We therefore need firm commitments from those intending to stay at the Manresa Center by February 28.
- Payment is due at conference registration upon arrival. Only cash and checks can be accepted for payment.
- Secure on site parking
- Both the parking lot and front door of the Manresa Center are secured by codes provided to those staying there
- Access to telephones for local calls
- High speed internet service is available (if you bring a laptop)
- Self-service laundry facility
- Library/common area suitable for gathering socially/mathematically
- Check-in (as a group) at the Manresa Center will occur after the Friday afternoon conference session
- Check-out (as a group) at the Manresa Center may occur either before or after the Sunday morning conference session
Mapquest map of the location of the Manresa Center - also see the map at the bottom of this page.
Saint Louis University, the Water Tower Inn and the Manresa Center are located in the mid-town area of St. Louis. While you are within any of these locations you are secure. As with any urban center, you should use common sense regarding your personal safety when walking off campus or in the areas around the Water Tower Inn or the Manresa Center, particularly at night-time.
- Travel in a group, particularly at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings. In particular, it is recommended that you not walk on side streets or in alleys around the Water Tower Inn or the Manresa Center at night.
- Saint Louis University Department of Public Safety provides a minivan campus escort service from 3 pm to 3 am. Call (314)977-7433. For emergencies on campus call (314)977-3000.
Showing the Water Tower Inn, the Manresa Center and the Conference location.